Sunday, September 2, 2007

Peru Earthquake (15th August)

There was an Earthquake in Peru a couple of weeks ago (Wednesday 15th August). Over 500 people died, and thousands had their homes destroyed. The earthquake was most destructive in the Inca region where one of the children I sponsor, Max, lives. His father is in prison, and he lives at home with his mother and three brothers. He is seven years old. When I first heard about the earthquake I could hardly believe that something so destructive had happened right where my sponsored child lived. I live in an earthquake/volcanic country too (New Zealand) and we are mostly very safe here so even though I knew Peru was in a dangerous place it never occured to me that such a huge earthquake could take place there at this time.

A few days ago I received a letter telling me that Max was uninjured. But I want to know if his family are okay, if the people in his village are okay, if their houses are okay or if they've been destroyed. I will send some money through Tearfund to help with rebuilding housing.

This earthquake was one natural disaster that feels close to home for me, all because my sponsored child's community was hugely affected by it, and I was worried for his safety and waiting to hear news about him. Usually when I hear of destructive natural disasters I hardly think about it again, it just seems so remote. Natural disaster's are far more prevalent, and destructive and dangerous to impoverished people and devoloping nations than they are to us in the West. That may be why we can often distance ourselves from empathy, understanding and action to help those affected by them.

No comments: