Sunday, September 2, 2007

Street Girl in India

On my return trip to Kolkata my Dad and I stayed at "The Monica Guest House". Opposite from our bed and breakfast were several men, and one family, living side by side on the street. the family included a mother, her daughter and her toddler son. The daughter looked like she was about the same age as me (10). They all had shaved scalps: in desperation for help, they must have given their hair as an offering to a Hindu god. The mother and daughter had one ragged, torn dress each, and the son had just one pair of blue shorts. The only other thing they seemed to own was one very thin bed-roll. We gave them some bread and some money. A friend of ours bought the son some medicine because he was sick, and bought the mother a sari. She was so happy with it - but she only wore it at night. During the day she wore her rag-dress so that she would still look poor and be given money when she begged. We took a few photos of that family.


Since that trip to Kolkata I often wonder about that family, and especially the daughter. What became of them? The daughter was the same age as me, so when I started high school I wondered if she was still living on the streets, or in a slum. When I went to my first school ball I wondered if she was married already. Now I wonder how many children she has. Is she still living with her husband, or is she struggling to support her family by herself? Did she ever go to a school? Was she sexually abused when she lived on the streets? Did she turn to prostitution? When she married, was she treated well, or did her inlaws despise her and exploit her because she had a small dowry? I feel like someone tossed a coin, and I got heads (wealth, opportunities) and she got tails. Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: